Tuesday, June 07, 2011

A Trout In The City!

So a couple of weeks ago, the most excellent Jessica from Nature is My Friend, sent me on my own 'mail art adventure'.  She mailed me a lovely trout sticker and instructed me to search out an industrial spot that was in the need of a little nature.  I finally had a chance to complete my adventure today!
On my ride home I pass by lots of industrial areas that could use a little love, but there is this one apartment building wall that I see everyday that just looks so minimal and bare and screams out for some love! Now I realize it is not entirely an 'industrial area', but I feel like it is surrounded by garbage bins and not much else, and looks really lonely and in need of some nature.  So here is where my 'trout' swims, next to a stream of pipes and stone.
This project was really great.  It got me thinking all about industrial spaces and especially the abandoned ones. I admit I am drawn to these desolate areas which I believe my dad is somewhat responsible for, as he was always dragging me along on his own adventures through barren places and eventually I fell in love with these lonely lands as well.  I like the quiet and the emptiness, the lack of signs and text and the lack of people, left with only minimal flat walls and the sounds of abandon...it is definitely an eerie love affair I hold with these spaces....anyways...just thoughts...
I also managed to finish one of my own 'everyday adventures', the secret fort addition.  I made a fort of sugar, and invited my cat Koshi for tea!  It was very civilized....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "a stream of pipes and stones" what, how awesome is that?!?! thank you also for writing such lovely words. I am so happy this adventure was fun for you, cause it was made especially for you after you sent me on 2 of your art adventures. love love!! more art adventures to come :D <3 from bc